Monday, November 3, 2008

Taking the plunge!



Waaaaaahhhh!!

I know this is a lame post, but I always find blank pages so intimidating!

I have about 8 paper journals that I will not write in (though I love journaling <it's like free therapy!>) all because of the dreaded first entry (of the fear that I will screw it up).

Finally I had to train myself not to buy those pretty blank books, because how many does one busy woman need anyway.

Ok, I guess I will start off with an introduction: That picture up there is me (well me 2 years ago, and I don't look much different now).


I am a SAHM and have been for about 15 years now (I have held various part-time jobs during the last 15 years but Mommy is my most important job description). Last year was the first year that I did not have at least one redhead running around underfoot during the *schoolday*.
I guess if I were to say I collected anything it would be books (I have over 600 at this time). Yes books, and cat hair...... (we have two cats, a dog, a hamster and a chinchilla named Kiwi).
My interests are so varied it is difficult to list them all.. but here is an attempt...
  1. Reading - (I know, you never would have guessed...) I am known by name at the local branch of the public library..
  2. Sewing -Although I am way out of practice, (I made an Alice *in Wonderland* costume for my oldest daughter for Halloween this year, and I was ready to take a sledgammer to my machine by the time I was finally finished).
  3. Masks/Maskmaking- I do sort of collect masks, I have an affinity for them. I think because I have so many varied interests, and when I get involved in them I totally imerse myself in that interest It is like I am masquerading as a different person for a while.. I have made a few plaster/papier mache masks, but I would really like to learn to make venetian leather masks....(someday).
  4. Birds- I don't own any,as the cats or dog would make that difficult. I actually love peacocks, chickens, and guinea fowl best of all.
  5. Embroidery- It was the first handcraft I learned (at age 7)
  6. Baking- before I was a SAHM I worked as a baker in a resturaunt, and in a bakery before that. I hate to cook , but love to bake...
  7. The Great Outdoors- I was raised on a hobby farm on the outskirts of Louisville, and I had access to riding trails of the Jefferson County Forest just up the hill from our back yard. I spent many hours exploring the woods when I was young.
  8. Dolls/Dollhouses- This is a new interest, it started when I found a Jennie June doll kit (circa 1971) for $2.00 at my favorite flea market. This reminded me of the boudior doll my mother had wen I was little (which I coveted). I am working on her at the present.. The dollhouse interest is in part related, and in part due to the genre of book I am currently reading (Haunted Dollouses! eeek!).
  9. Flea markets- I have several I visit every week or two. I also love thrift stores. I m not as fond of yard sales, as I really hate driving all over the place for one small stop, I rather find block sales, or neighborhood sales ;)
  10. Varied other crafty stuff- I make most of my own jewelry, I play around with papier mache, I dabble in polymer clay, I attempt Origami , etc.,etc., etc.....

I leave off this first post with a quote:

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm"!-- Colette


Now go find an adventure!
Laurie


No comments: